The Alameda County Sheriff’s Office (ACSO) has a long history of scandals and civil rights violations. We continue to monitor human rights violations in & outside of the jail. We are following COVID-19 cases inside Santa Rita Jail closely. We’ll be updating this section with the latest news about Sheriff Ahern and the ACSO that Alameda County community members need to know.
- COVID-19 cases inside Santa Rita Jail tracker: bit.ly/SRJCOVID-19 (credit: Darby Aono)
- Santa Rita Jail population soars, while COVID-19 testing remains minimal
- Ella Baker Center & Decarcerate Alameda County hold action to demand release of incarcerated loved ones amist COVID-19 outbreak in Santa Rita Jail.
- Inside Santa Rita Jail during the COVID pandemic and what it’s like getting out.
- KTVU reported that under Sheriff Ahern’s watch, Santa Rita Jail has the highest death rate compared to other Bay Area jail systems
The Alameda County Public Defender’s Office learned that the ACSO continues to illegally record constitutionally protected privileged conversations between attorneys and clients, despite a previous major scandal involving a sheriff’s deputy caught on video admitting to recording youth and their attorneys.
The investigative East Bay Express article titled “The Most Dangerous Place in Alameda County” described in great detail the many systemic failures and horrendous inhumane conditions that have lead to a staggering number of deeply troubling incidents.
For more information please contact our Organizer and Advocate Jose Bernal: [email protected]