For twenty-five years the Ella Baker Center has worked locally, statewide, and nationally to shift resources away from prisons and punishment and towards opportunities that make our communities safe, healthy, and strong. We believe that what you water grows. That’s why we mobilize everyday people to build power and prosperity in our communities.
We believe that budgets are moral documents, and we organize with allies to demand that elected officials enact budgets that reflect our values. Learn more about our County work.
- Decarcerate Alameda County (Formerly Audit Ahern): Formerly known as the Audit Ahern Coalition, Decarcerate Alameda County is a growing coalition of organizations and community members joining together to demand that Alameda County free people from Santa Rita Jail, divest from incarceration & policing, and invest in community health, not cops.
- Restore Oakland: We have officially moved into our forever home at Restore Oakland in the Fruitvale! Restore Oakland is the first building with dedicated space to restorative justice and restorative economics.
We win policies that reduce sentences, remove barriers, and restore opportunities.
- Advocacy for legislation that abolishes abusive practices in prisons and jails, strengthens family connections, ends the economic burdens placed on people by mass incarceration, and reinvests in communities. Learn about our current bills.
- Who Pays? The True Cost of Incarceration on Families: Identified how to restructure sentences, reinvest resources, remove barriers, and restore opportunities for families and communities with Forward Together, Research Action Design, and 20 organizations across the country.
We change the conversation about public safety to be less focused on fear and punishment, and more focused on having a living wage job, healthy food, and affordable childcare, healthcare, and housing.
- Night Out for Safety and Liberation: We bring people across the country together on the first Tuesday in August to redefine what #SafetyIs: dignity, opportunity, and power in our communities.
- Freedom Cities is a movement that seeks to make entire cities, towns, and communities safe for workers, people with disabilities, immigrants, Black people, Muslims, LGBTQ people, and all oppressed communities.