The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights (“EBC”) is a nonprofit organization based in Oakland, CA, working to advance racial and economic justice to ensure dignity and opportunity for low-income people and people of color. In our 20 year history, we have worked on issues including jump starting the green jobs movement, promoting civic engagement, violence prevention through youth leadership, and transforming juvenile justice systems in California. We are currently working to end mass incarceration and mass criminalization in the United States through Truth and Reinvestment—moving resources away from failed criminal justice policies and into creating opportunities, also known as “books not bars, jobs not jails, healthcare not handcuffs.”
Senior Resource Organizing Associate
The Senior Resource Organizing Associate will lead key portions of EBC’s individual donor fundraising efforts. This role incorporates both fundraising and organizing skills, with an emphasis on supporting and mobilizing board members to secure gifts,and organizing cohorts of donors to deepen engagement. The Senior Resource Organizing Associate will oversee EBC’s individual donor solicitation, stewardship, and online giving activities. In order to deepen EBC’s relationship with donors and increase revenue from individual gifts, the Senior Resource Organizing Associate will exercise independent judgment and discretion in implementing EBC’s individual giving program. This position reports to the Director of Development.
Schedule will include some evenings and weekends as necessary.
This is a full-time exempt position based in Oakland, CA.
Resource Organizing Strategy and Curriculum
- Create curriculum to develop political engagement of donors and strengthen the connection between an individual's engagement as a donor to their political journey.
- Deepen relationships with donors and cultivate organizational affinity by taking them through a cohort-based series of workshops.
- Manage development and implementation of donor learning and cultivation strategies to connect donors to EBC’s direction and values.
- Evaluate success of cohort-based model and refine curriculum using updated engagement strategies.
- Design and implement relevant evaluation metrics for resource organizing program. Collaborate with the Development Associate to ensure increased integration between technology systems resulting in optimized data analytics and reporting.
- Identify affinity-based cohorts to understand each donor’s level of alignment with EBC’s programs and campaigns, and develop specific strategies to support affinity-based cohorts and maximize staff time and attention.
- Manage, improve, or establish processes and procedures to ensure high-quality donor experience through all the various communication touchpoints (e.g., website, Donor portal, email, telephone, events, site visits, mailings, onboarding).
- Continuously improve donor relations through regular communications to build strong lasting relationships with existing donors, educate donors on EBC’s campaign and strategies and discuss new giving opportunities of interest to donors; ensure ongoing refinement of messaging in EBC collateral intended for a donor audience.
- Respond to donor needs, lead donor cultivation and asset development goals by providing excellent donor service in all interactions with EBC donors. Work with Development Associate as needed to identify and qualify new donors to maintain EBC's prospect pipeline. Integrate new prospect research into donor engagement strategy.
- Hold primary responsibility for donor engagement and retention.
- Conduct ongoing one-to-ones with major gifts prospects.
- Consistently monitor and evaluate the impact of donor engagement activities (primarily via Salesforce) and make decisions about adjustments and new strategies as needed to maintain desired levels of engagement.
- Manage EBC’s online giving infrastructure to ensure positive donor/user experience and (in partnership with the Communications team) leverage EBC’s media assets to increase online giving.
- Develop and implement a strategy to deepen engagement among existing monthly donors and expand EBC’s total monthly donor base.
Annual Fund Campaign
- Implement and evaluate EBC’s annual donor cultivation calendar, which includes direct mail, small-scale events, digital content, phone banking, and appeals.
- Manage production of events and materials, ensuring timely production of regularly scheduled engagement materials for donors including mailings and newsletters.
- Supervise and engage consultants as needed.
Required qualifications and skills:
- Proven commitment to racial, economic, and gender justice.
- 4 or more years of experience in fundraising, with significant experience in individual donor engagement.
- 4 or more years of volunteer management experience, preferably in a fundraising and/or campaign environment.
- History of working collaboratively with stakeholders (board members, volunteers, etc.) and coworkers while exercising individual leadership in meeting core job responsibilities.
- Project management and/or campaign experience, including proven ability to successfully manage multiple time-sensitive projects.
- History of using CRM/database tools to successfully support donor engagement. Salesforce experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with prospect research.
- Familiarity with online fundraising tools and peer to peer fundraising strategies.
- Aptitude for quantitative and qualitative evaluation of fundraising programs.
Preferred qualifications and skills:
- Familiarity with criminal justice landscape in California and/or the Bay Area.
- Bilingual Spanish and English preferred.
Individuals of color, LGBTQ, individuals with past involvement in the justice system or who have loved ones currently or formerly in the justice system are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary range: $55,000 - $65,000
Competitive benefits including: 401K match, health insurance, dental, chiropractor, sick and vacatiaon time.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Application open until filled. Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as interviews will be offered on a rolling basis.