The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights (“EBC”) is a nonprofit organization based in Oakland, CA, working to advance racial and economic justice to ensure dignity and opportunity for low-income people and people of color. In our 20 year history, we have worked on issues including jump starting the green jobs movement, promoting civic engagement, violence prevention through youth leadership, and transforming juvenile justice systems in California. We are currently working to end mass incarceration and mass criminalization in the United States through Truth and Reinvestment—moving resources away from failed criminal justice policies and into creating opportunities, also known as “books not bars, jobs not jails, healthcare not handcuffs.”
The Donor Engagement Manager will lead EBC’s individual donor fundraising efforts. This role incorporates both fundraising and organizing skills, with an emphasis on supporting and mobilizing board members and volunteers to secure gifts from current and prospective donors. The Donor Engagement Manager will oversee EBC’s individual donor solicitation, stewardship, prospect research, and online giving activities. In order to deepen EBC’s relationship with donors and increase revenue from individual gifts, the Donor Engagement Manager will exercise independent judgment and discretion in implementing EBC’s individual giving program. This position reports to the Director of Development.
Schedule will include some evenings and weekends as necessary.
This is a full-time exempt position based in Oakland, CA.
Annual Fund Campaign
- Hold primary responsibility for fundraising from individual donors.
- Plan, manage, and grow EBC’s volunteer-led annual fund campaign. This includes staffing a dedicated group of board and volunteer solicitors to successfully meet campaign goals.
- Train and support board members and volunteers to secure, renew, and increase gifts from EBC’s mid-level donor base while deepening donor relationships with EBC.
- Regularly monitor and evaluate year-to-date campaign progress, and make decisions about adjustments and new strategies as needed to meet campaign goals.
- Ensure accurate and consistent data entry (Salesforce CRM) based on solicitor and donor feedback.
- Hold primary responsibility for donor engagement and retention.
- Implement and evaluate EBC’s annual donor engagement calendar, which includes direct mail, small-scale events, digital content, phone banking, and appeals.
- Consistently monitor and evaluate the impact of donor engagement activities (primarily via Salesforce) and make decisions about adjustments and new strategies as needed to maintain desired levels of engagement.
- Manage EBC’s online giving infrastructure to ensure positive donor/user experience and (in partnership with the Communications team) leverage EBC’s media assets to increase online giving.
- Develop and implement a strategy to deepen engagement among existing monthly donors and expand EBC’s total monthly donor base.
- Identify and qualify new donors to maintain EBC's prospect pipeline.
- Use available prospect research tools to make informed decisions about donor outreach strategies. This includes pairing new prospects with the appropriate staff, board, or volunteer solicitors, and may involve production of written proposals to support solicitor activities.
- Manage and regularly evaluate the prospect pipeline to ensure that prospects are advanced (or removed, when appropriate) in a timely fashion as new information is available.
Required qualifications and skills:
- Proven commitment to racial, economic, and gender justice.
- 4 or more years of experience in fundraising, with significant experience in individual donor engagement.
- 4 or more years of volunteer management experience, preferably in a fundraising and/or campaign environment.
- History of working collaboratively with stakeholders (board members, volunteers, etc.) and coworkers while exercising individual leadership in meeting core job responsibilities.
- Project management and/or campaign experience, including proven ability to successfully manage multiple time-sensitive projects.
- History of using CRM/database tools to successfully support donor engagement. Salesforce experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with prospect research.
- Familiarity with online fundraising tools and peer to peer fundraising strategies.
- Aptitude for quantitative and qualitative evaluation of fundraising programs.
Preferred qualifications and skills:
- Familiarity with criminal justice landscape in California and/or the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Bilingual Spanish and English preferred.
Individuals of color, LGBTQ, individuals with past involvement in the justice system or who have loved ones currently or formerly in the justice system are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary range: $62,000 - $70,000
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Application open until filled. Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as interviews will be offered on a rolling basis.
The Policy Associate will provide leadership on specific policy initiatives within our local and state campaigns to advance the Ella Baker Center’s Truth and Reinvestment Agenda. The state level policy work includes developing campaigns to support Ella Baker Center-sponsored legislation, working in coalition to support legislative change, following the implementation of Ella Baker Center-sponsored legislation, and analyzing potential legislation.
Supervision: This position is supervised by the Policy Manager
This is full time, non-exempt, non-salaried, entry level position
Schedule will include some evenings and weekends as necessary and minimal travel
Responsibilities will include:
- Research, Promote, coordinate, and implement state and local campaigns and initiatives in furtherance of our mission
- Build and coordinate relationships with other state organizations, community leaders, allies, and unlikely allies in order to build support for EBC’s campaigns and initiatives.
- Build and coordinate relationships with key local and state officials, agency staff, and consultants to move EBC’s campaigns and initiatives.
- Help develop and implement strategy to advance local and state campaigns and initiatives.
- Support the development of a local and statewide membership structure that will help kickoff our national membership campaign
- Support Mobilization and turnout members for events, including hearings, conferences, etc.
- Conduct research, analysis, writing, and editing support for the organization, including policy papers, legislative and budget analysis, factsheets, op-eds, etc.
- Track state and local policies, campaigns, events, and other activities and assess Ella Baker Center’s role and participation
- Act as a representative for the Ella Baker Center in coalitions and memberships and attend relevant conferences, meetings, and trainings.
- Act as a liaison for Ella Baker Center to various allies and organizations, such as labor, faith, other criminal justice related non-profits, and other youth/family organizations as necessary.
- Represent Ella Baker Center publicly as a spokesperson as necessary.
- Work with volunteers and interns to advance campaigns and initiatives.
- Assist in strategic organizational planning as necessary
- Participate in social media activities; provide strategic direction for EBC’s communications and media strategy.
- Assist in administrative duties as necessary
- Participate in requisite Ella Baker Center activities (i.e. staff meetings, trainings, fundraising, administrative responsibilities, events) as necessary.
- Proven commitment to social and racial justice
- 1 or more years’ experience in racial, criminal, and/or economic justice campaign work
- 1 or more years’ experience working in and leading coalitions
- 1 or more years’ experience in event and/or conference planning
- Knowledge of the local and state political and economic landscape as it relates to criminal and juvenile justice
- Understanding of juvenile and criminal justice systems, including key issues and policies, best practices, etc.
- Ability to cultivate relationships with likely and unlikely allies, including policymakers, stakeholders, faith leaders, and community members
- Team player attitude
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Time management skills
- Ability to multi-task
- High School Diploma Required
- Bi-lingual Spanish and English is a PLUS
- We offer a competitive benefits package:
- Employer paid healthcare insurance which includes medical, dental, vision, chiropractor, and acupuncture
- Paid time off including vacation, sick, and holidays
- 401(k) plan with up to 3% employer match
- Commuter benefits
Salary Range: $47,500-$52,000 designated on experience
To apply please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample for consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application open until filled. Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as interviews will be offered on a rolling basis.
1970 Broadway, Suite 1125, Oakland, CA 94612