The Ella Baker Center is currently hiring a Controller.
Ella Baker Center Organizational Background
The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights (“EBC”) is a nonprofit organization based in Oakland, CA, working to advance racial and economic justice to ensure dignity and opportunity for low-income people and people of color. In our 20 year history, we have worked on issues including jump starting the green jobs movement, promoting civic engagement, violence prevention through youth leadership, and transforming juvenile justice systems in California. We are currently working to end mass incarceration and mass criminalization in the United States through Truth and Reinvestment—moving resources away from failed criminal justice policies and into creating opportunities, also known as “books not bars, jobs not jails, healthcare not handcuffs.”
The Controller will be responsible for financial recording, reporting and analyzing of both operational and building related transactions -- all in the context of an exciting and fast moving social justice oriented organization. Accurately processing accounting transactions in QuickBooks, managing payroll, analysis in spreadsheet documents, potential presentation of financial information -- will be key activities. This position interacts with EBC program directors and administrative staff to support the preparation of monthly financial statements and department financial reports.
To a much lesser extent, but part of the work, will be assisting with office management. In general, the role is focused on supporting all finance functions in collaboration with the Director of Finance & Operations and the Executive Director, and other misc. tasks.
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Operations, the Controller works as part of the Administration Team, to build institutional financial systems that ensure stability, health and efficiency.They ensure the smooth functioning of finance, administrative systems through being the main support for financial operations of the organization
This is a full-time exempt position with access to sensitive information.
PRIMARY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists in assembling various financial statements and reports for the Board and external stakeholders
- Assist in the preparation of budget and financial information for grant reports and proposals
- Accounts Receivable-records and processes incoming checks/grants for the finance and development teams. (multiple companies)
- Accounts Payable-complete all accounts payable activities including processing check requests from agency staff and the payment of vendor invoices, including both printed checks and online payments (multiple companies); prepares outgoing mail for the finance team
- Assist during the annual budget process
- Support Director of Finance and Operations with the annual audit process
- Manage financial aspects of relationships with vendors and subcontractors (e.g., financial administration of benefits, 1099, 1096).
- Process semi monthly payroll in QuickBooks
- Prepare credit card reconciliations; review and approve on a monthly basis
- Monthly bank and credit card donation reconciliations (multiple accounts and companies)
- Complete quarterly/monthly allocation of expenses including staff salaries, benefits, taxes, and program expenses;
- Process quarterly payroll and shared allocations
- GL account reconciliations and journal entries
- Work with development team to reconcile donations/grants in QuickBooks with Salesforce on a monthly/quarterly
- Ensure that all financial records are maintained in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Maintain current knowledge of relevant accounting standards through participation in professional societies and peer networking.
- Support and assist Director of Finance & Operations in special projects, tasks, as needed
- Support with day to day operations of the office/building as needed
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- 3-5 years in an accounting/FC bookkeeping position with increasing responsibility.
- Demonstrated knowledge of nonprofit accounting principles and practices for a mid-sized nonprofit.
- Ability to multitask and handle competing demands; prioritize and manage focus and productivity effectively; ability to manage time and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate strong initiative and leadership.
- Ability to be discreet and judicious with non-routine and private information.
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle time-sensitive and confidential situations with professionalism.
- Superior organizational skills, and the ability to create, implement, and maintain systems to improve the efficiency of the finance/admin office.
- Detail oriented.
- Good interpersonal communication skills (oral and written).
- Knowledge of GAAP
- Knowledge of QuickBooks and/or various non-profit accounting software
- Proficiency in Mac interfaces and all Microsoft Office applications.
- Familiarity with and commitment to racial and social justice; clear understanding of EBC’s mission and programs.
- Experience working with finance/bookkeeping for multiple companies a plus.
- High school diploma or GED; college diploma a plus.
- Nonprofit experience, bilingual skills a plus.
- Technical capability
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Decision Making
- Project Management
- Communication Proficiency
- Teamwork Orientation
Position reports to the Director of Finance and Operations at the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights. The Controller has no direct reports at this time.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary range: $65,000 - $75,000 depending on experience
EBC offers a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, chiropractor, acupuncture, LTD, life insurance, EAP, vacation and sick time, and 401k matching contributions.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit application materials to email@example.com with “Controller” in the subject line. Complete applications must include:
- Cover letter including a description of your interest in the position and qualifications
Individuals of color, LGBTQ identified individuals, individuals with past involvement in the justice system or who have loved ones currently or formerly in the justice system are strongly encouraged to apply.
Submission URL: https://ellabakercenter.catchthebest.com/apply/45qz229n