The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights (“EBC”) is a nonprofit organization based in Oakland, CA, working to advance racial and economic justice to ensure dignity and opportunity for low-income people and people of color. In our 20 year history, we have worked on issues including jump starting the green jobs movement, promoting civic engagement, violence prevention through youth leadership, and transforming juvenile justice systems in California. We are currently working to end mass incarceration and mass criminalization in the United States through Truth and Reinvestment—moving resources away from failed criminal justice policies and into creating opportunities, also known as “books not bars, jobs not jails, healthcare not handcuffs.”
The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights “EBC” is seeking a passionate and dedicated individual with a penchant for racial and economic justice.
This position will report to the Director of Organizing and will work alongside peers of Organizers and Advocates to drive organizing efforts in Alameda County. The Organizer and Advocate will assist in developing our membership, which is a pathway to advocacy for anyone, anywhere, to join in advancing our goals. This position will also aid in executing strategies to develop the leadership of directly impacted individuals. We define "directly impacted" as anyone that is formerly or currently incarcerated or detained and their family members.
This is a full time non-exempt position.
Schedule will include some evenings and weekends as necessary.
Responsibilities will include:
- Collaborate with team to execute an organizing strategy to recruit and develop EBC's membership.
- Strategize and execute specific plans to recruit, engage, and develop the leadership of directly impacted individuals to join our membership and advance our campaigns.
- Coordinate and cultivate tools to keep members engaged and connected and identify and develop member leaders.
- Mobilize and turnout members for events, including hearings, conferences, etc.
- Act as a representative for the Ella Baker Center in coalitions and memberships and attend relevant conferences, meetings, and trainings.
- Act as a liaison for Ella Baker Center to various allies and organizations, such as labor, faith, other criminal justice related non-profits, and other youth/family organizations as necessary.
- Represent Ella Baker Center publicly as a spokesperson as necessary.
- Attend relevant hearings and meetings and provide testimony and statements as necessary.
- Work with volunteers and interns to assist in outreach and organizing goals.
- Plan and execute member actions and mobilization
- Build relationships with local organizations, community leaders, allies, and unlikely allies in order to build support for Ella Baker Center's vision.
- Assist in strategic organizational planning as necessary.
- Assist in administrative duties as necessary.
- Participate in requisite Ella Baker Center activities (i.e. staff meetings, trainings, fundraising, administrative responsibilities, events)
- Proven commitment to racial, economic, and gender justice
- 1-2 or more years experience in community, labor, or other relevant grassroots organizing. Union organizing experience is a plus.
- 1 or more years experience working in and leading coalitions
- 1 or more years experience leading criminal justice campaigns
- 1 or more years experience in event and/or conference planning highly desired
- Proven track record in growing and developing an organized base of members, constituents, or community members
- Demonstrated success in recruiting, training and developing member leaders
- Ability to meet deadlines and achieve goals
- Knowledge of criminal and juvenile justice reentry issues, challenges, and best practices, particularly around economic gaps and needs
- Knowledge of Alameda County's political and economic landscape highly preferred
- Understanding of and ability to navigate juvenile and criminal justice systems preferred
- Ability to cultivate relationships with likely and unlikely allies, including policymakers, stakeholders, and community members
- Team player attitude
- Strong verbal and written skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Proficient in computer skills, including Internet navigation, word processing, PowerPoint, etc.
- Willingness to travel as necessary
- Driver license
- Bilingual in Spanish and English is highly desirable
Individuals of color, LGBTQ, individuals with past involvement in the justice system or who have loved ones currently or formerly in the justice system are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
The Communications Associate is responsible for message development and media strategies that promote the work of the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights as a catalyst for social and economic justice.
The Communications Associate will report to the Communications Director. Work is generally performed in an office setting; however, duties may sometimes require working at external events with members and other organizations.
This is a full-time non-exempt position. May require some evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Working with and under the direction of the Director of Communications and organizing staff to execute public relations campaign strategies, social media marketing strategies, timelines and tactics to support our goals
- Write creative copy for a wide variety of platforms including, emails, social media, fact sheets, talking points, op-eds, and letters to the editor
- Manage Ella Baker Center social media accounts, website, email outreach and other digital platforms to promote our campaigns
- Work with media to frame our issues through writing press releases and other materials and conducting media outreach
- Collect and distribute news clips and media reports after media events
- Regularly update and maintain our membership database system, run reports and lists as needed
- Responding to media requests
- Assist on other communications projects as needed
- Strong commitment to social and economic justice
- Strong writing, verbal communication, editing and proofreading skills
- Ability to frame issues for different audiences
- Graphic design and/or production experience a plus
- Must be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines
- Proven commitment to and knowledge of issues relating to racial, economic, and gender justice
- Experience with Drupal, WordPress and/or equivalent platforms
- Experience with CRM databases, Salesforce preferred
- Previous experience in online organizing, political campaigns, and/or customer service very advantageous but not required
- Knowledge of trends of digital organizing, and of best practices for communicating via email, Facebook and Twitter
- Willingness to work with a team, as well as independently
- Have 2 years of experience in campaign communications, media relations, production management, marketing, writing or combination
Essential Job Requirements
- Needs to be able to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Needs to be able to operate a computer for most of the working hours.
- This position needs to be able to use a telephone and communicate with the general public.
Individuals of color, LGBTQ identified individuals, individuals with past involvement in the justice system or who have loved ones currently or formerly in the justice system are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary range: $46,500 - $52,000
Please submit a resume, cover letter to the submission email address firstname.lastname@example.org or through the submission URL http://ellabakercenter.catchthebest.com/apply/7bf4