See below for the full job description and how to apply.
The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights is a nonprofit organization based in Oakland, CA, working to advance racial and economic justice to ensure dignity and opportunity for low-income people and people of color. In our 18 year history, we have worked on issues including jump starting the green jobs movement, promoting civic engagement, violence prevention through youth leadership, and transforming juvenile justice systems in California. We are currently working to end mass incarceration in the United States through justice reinvestment—moving resources away from failed criminal justice policies and into creating opportunities, also known as “books not bars, jobs not jails.”
The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights is seeking an extremely bright, dedicated professional with a passion for racial and economic justice.
- Write copy for Ella Baker Center national community-driven research reports and other reports/ policy memorandum
- Experience with economic justice issues, and analysis of how criminal justice policies impact people’s lives economically.
- Develop research and white papers on the intersection between the criminal justice system and other social sectors
- Serve as primary researcher for the Ella Baker Center
- Serve as a liaison for employers in advancing Ella Baker Center work
- Conduct outreach to allied organizations in other social sectors.
- Write and place press releases about the work of Ella Baker Center
- Write and place op-eds to position Ella Baker Center as a thought leader in criminal and economic justice fields
- Maintain list of press contacts
- Edit and copyedit Ella Baker Center additional written materials as necessary, including:
- Press releases
- Email blasts
- Blog posts and website update
- Draft monthly (or bi monthly) email newsletters
- Act as point person for Ella Baker Center’s work with outside communications consultants for special projects. Including:
- Design RFPs as necessary and recommend a vendor to the Executive Director
- Provide project management support to the vendor for the duration of the project.
- Assist in strategic organizational planning as necessary
- Assist in administrative duties as necessary
- Participate in requisite Ella Baker Center activities (i.e. staff meetings, trainings, fundraising, administrative responsibilities, events) as necessary.
- Commitment to social and racial justice
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Experience writing and placing earned media
- Experience writing and editing research articles and white papers.
- 1-2 or more years experience in racial, criminal, and/or economic justice campaign work
- Knowledge of the national political and economic landscape as it relates to criminal and juvenile justice
- Understanding of juvenile and criminal justice systems, including key issues and policies, best practices, etc.
- Team player attitude
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent multi-tasking skills
- Flexibility to work on weekends and evenings as necessary
- Willingness to travel as necessary
- Bi-lingual Spanish and English is a PLUS
- Driver License
Salary and Benefits
This is a fulltime position offering a competitive salary DOE. Benefits include health, dental, chiropractic and access to a retirement plan.
Please send a resume, cover letter, 3 writing samples (including one research and one for more general audiences) and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org