State Field Director for the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights
The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights is a nonprofit organization based in Oakland, CA, working to advance racial and economic justice to ensure dignity and opportunity for low-income people and people of color. In our 18 year history, we have worked on issues including jump starting the green jobs movement, promoting civic engagement, violence prevention through youth leadership, and transforming juvenile justice systems in California. We are currently working to end mass incarceration in the United States through justice reinvestment—moving resources away from failed criminal justice policies and into creating opportunities, also known as “books not bars, jobs not jails.”
The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights is seeking an extremely bright, dedicated professional with a passion for racial and economic justice. The State Field Director will lead our local and state campaigns to advance justice reinvestment. Responsibilities will include:
- Oversee state and local campaigns and initiatives in furtherance of our mission
- Build and coordinate relationships with other state organizations, community leaders, allies, and unlikely allies in order to build support for EBC’s campaigns and initiatives.
- Build and coordinate relationships with key local and state officials, agency staff, and consultants to move EBC’s campaigns and initiatives.
- Help develop and implement strategy to advance local and state campaigns and initiatives.
- Supervise local organizers as they advance a jobs not jails agenda in Alameda County (Oakland, CA)
- Develop a statewide membership structure that will help kickoff our national membership campaign
- Cultivate and coordinate a toolkit to engage members in our campaigns and connect them to one another.
- Mobilize and turnout members for events, including hearings, conferences, etc.
- Conduct research, analysis, writing, and editing support for the organization, including policy papers, legislative and budget analysis, factsheets, op-eds, etc.
- Track state and local policies, campaigns, events, and other activities and assess Ella Baker Center’s role and participation
- Act as a representative for the Ella Baker Center in coalitions and memberships and attend relevant conferences, meetings, and trainings.
- Act as a liaison for Ella Baker Center to various allies and organizations, such as labor, faith, other criminal justice related non-profits, and other youth/family organizations as necessary.
- Represent Ella Baker Center publicly as a spokesperson as necessary.
- Work with volunteers and interns to advance campaigns and initiatives.
- Assist in strategic organizational planning as necessary
- Participate in social media activities; provide strategic direction for EBC’s communications and media strategy.
- Assist in administrative duties as necessary
- Participate in requisite Ella Baker Center activities (i.e. staff meetings, trainings, fundraising, administrative responsibilities, events) as necessary.
- Proven commitment to social and racial justice
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Advance Degree in Law, Public Policy, or other relevant field desirable.
- 5 or more years experience in racial, criminal, and/or economic justice campaign work
- 2 or more years experience working in and leading coalitions
- 2 or more years experience in event and/or conference planning
- Knowledge of the local and state political and economic landscape as it relates to criminal and juvenile justice
- Understanding of juvenile and criminal justice systems, including key issues and policies, best practices, etc.
- Ability to cultivate relationships with likely and unlikely allies, including policymakers, stakeholders, faith leaders, and community members
- Team player attitude
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent multi-tasking skills
- Flexibility to work on weekends and evenings as necessary
- Willingness to travel as necessary
- Bi-lingual Spanish and English is a PLUS
- Driver License
Please submit a resume, cover letter, 5-7 page writing sample, and 3 references to Zachary@ellabakercenter.org.
Individuals of color, LGBT, individuals with past involvement in the justice system or who have loved ones currently or formerly in the justice system are strongly encouraged to apply.