The Ella Baker Center is currently hiring a Database Manager.
Ella Baker Center Organizational Background
The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights (“EBC”) is a nonprofit organization based in Oakland, CA, working to advance racial and economic justice to ensure dignity and opportunity for low-income people and people of color. In our 20 year history, we have worked on issues including jump starting the green jobs movement, promoting civic engagement, violence prevention through youth leadership, and transforming juvenile justice systems in California. We are currently working to end mass incarceration and mass criminalization in the United States through Truth and Reinvestment—moving resources away from failed criminal justice policies and into creating opportunities, also known as “books not bars, jobs not jails, healthcare not handcuffs.”
The Database Manager will take responsibility for all technical aspects of a comprehensive donor management system, including creating and managing gift and donor types, creating contact reports, liaise with web team for on-line donations, event registration and other interactions, assisting in developing direct mail, email and other campaigns, support for high touch donor cultivation, gift acknowledgment and other typical nonprofit fund-raising applications.
They will also be responsible for conducting research and thorough assessments of current and new database systems. Provides database applications by developing architecture, programming, troubleshooting, and security. This position will take the lead on developing systems that ensure EBC program staff can be effective in reaching and engaging program participants.
This is a full-time exempt union position.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities
This position is responsible for working across all departments, building, implementing and maintaining a robust database system that supports our Mission, and organizational goals.
- Assessment of current systems, on how they are meeting the organizational needs.
- Research current and new systems and present findings to all staff.
- Ensure appropriate staff is involved in the decision to migrate or convert to the database system by clearly outlining the workload on all staff and team.
- Lead process for determining database platform to support programs such as incarcerated members and their families, voter engagement, canvassing, mass text, and others as identified by the program team and our members.
- Responsible for the build out and implementation of new and existing database systems.
- Do the research and assess the current system, provide feedback and recommendations to staff.
- Oversee data management for Ella Baker Center development department and Program department and new program initiatives, including tracking of participants, events, deliverables, documents, newsletters, scheduling, reporting and other organizational activities.
- Daily duties include reporting and syncing of records across platforms.
- Oversee data management and workflows for EBC/RO re-granting programs, including management of grant application data, monitoring of active grants, and related deliverables from grantees.
- Work with the Development team to determine best ways to log and manage grants awarded to EBC/RO.
- Provide support to marketing and communications on campaigns, segmentation, and analytics for emailing, newsletters, and other communication functions, including integration with social media activities.
- Provide on-going training, tutorial support, produce documentation, and in other ways support the independence and self-reliance of EBC/RO.
- Lead ongoing staff training and support.
- Empowering and educating staff to better manage and understand data to support them in their existing projects and programs.
- Onboard new and existing database systems and training staff on an ongoing basis
- Advise leadership and cross-functional teams on technology strategy, technology implications of EBC/RO overall organizational objectives, and CRM requirements relative to network, web, and other technology areas.
- Manager will have responsibility for anticipating new requirements, developing them with departmental teams, and overseeing their implementation, including working with designated outside consulting support.
- Creating protocols for data entry, monitoring, and updating.
- Ongoing maintenance and clean-up of databases systems.
- Perform other duties as necessary to achieve the goals of the organization.
Qualifications and Skills
- Communication and research skills commensurate with a bachelor’s degree and a minimum of three years’ nonprofit technology experience, or other equivalent backgrounds.
- In addition to technical skills, to function effectively, the manager needs to demonstrate experience with or strong interest in criminal justice reform, policy advocacy, community engagement, public information campaigns, or other relevant commitments.
- Database management skills with contemporary relational databases, including administrative configuration, reporting, dashboards, and data quality skills. Software development background useful but not required.
- Well versed in cloud software management, particularly CRM systems, for general database administration, security, back-up, data imports and exports, and integration.
- Project management skills in order to manage outside resources as well as internal project teams for major enhancements and integrations.
- Must possess excellent analytical, research, organizational, and written and verbal communication skills, with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Position requires proficiency in CRM administration, including prospect and constituent management, data quality, developing reports in Salesforce or equivalent software system as well as a good understanding of nonprofit fundraising processes, donor cultivation, nonprofit marketing, and related financial requirements.
- Position requires a good understanding of software and business processes associated with project management and grants management software systems to support EBC/RO programs, initiatives, and grants.
- Must have a strong customer service orientation, including the ability to respond quickly and effectively to front line staff of varying technical backgrounds.
- This position requires comfort and effectiveness translating between end-user needs and database output. Must be able to understand staff needs so as to accurately translate their requests into effective queries and reports. Skill in making presentations and training individuals in software applications is required.
- Proven ability to launch a new system, and lead a culture change process towards a new way of doing things.
- Must be able to organize and prioritize work, be proactive, take initiative, resolve problems, follow-through, and simultaneously manage multiple priorities to ensure goals are met in a timely manner.
- Strong experience with most primary office software packages, including MS Office Suite, Access, Outlook, Active Directory, and other typical software systems. Advanced Excel skills are a plus.
- Experience with SALSA Labs and Salesforce is a plus.
This position reports to the Director of Development at the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights. The Database Manager has no direct reports at this time
Salary and Benefits
Salary range: $55,000 – $65,000
EBC offers a generous benefits package that includes health, dental, chiropractor, acupuncture, LTD, life insurance, EAP, vacation and sick time, and 401k matching contributions.
How to Apply
Please submit application materials in pdf form to [email protected] with “Database Manager” in the subject line. Complete applications must include:
- Cover letter including a description of your interest in the position and qualifications
Individuals of color, LGBTQ identified individuals, individuals with past involvement in the criminal legal system or who have loved ones currently or formerly in the criminal legal system are strongly encouraged to apply.
Start Date: August 2020