Save Money, Save Lives—Decarcerate Alameda County
Please Visit www.decarceratealameda.org for demands, talking points, action and more!
In order to address the change in needs due to COVID19 and the large-scale protests and movement to defund policing and reinvest in communities, the Audit Ahern Coalition is now 'Decarcerate Alameda County' and has a new platform and set of demands. To see more about the coalition, our platform, and how to get involved, visit decarceratealameda.org
"I’m concerned about troubling reports that have emerged surrounding the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office (ACSO). Alameda County residents deserve full transparency and accountability, and I fully support community members in their request for an independent financial and performance audit of the ACSO." - Senator Nancy Skinner
Over the past 10 years, the Alameda County jail population has decreased by half—so why has Sheriff Ahern's budget continued to grow by $144 million in the last decade, totalling $443 million in 2019? Alameda County Sheriff Greg Ahern, who is also the county coroner, has few restrictions and little oversight to his power.
A full and independent audit of the ACSO would provide an opportunity for our county officials to reallocate resources toward services that improve our health and wellbeing, and ensure our safety.
- $100,000 would provide 1,000 HIV tests in community-based clinics.
- $1.3M would provide after-school programming to 1,000 students for 1 year.
- $27.8M would house over 1000 individuals in a market-rate apartment for a year.
- $10M would house 300 of Alameda County's poorest families for a year in a subsidized apartment.
The Alameda County Sheriff’s Office (ACSO) has a long history of scandals and civil rights violations. We’ll be updating this section with the latest news about Sheriff Ahern and the ACSO that Alameda County community members need to know.
- KTVU reported that under Sheriff Ahern's watch, Santa Rita Jail has the highest death rate compared to other Bay Area jail systems.
- The number of in-custody deaths at Santa Rita is higher than previously reported: at least 40 people have died since Jan. 1, 2014. Of that number, 14 people committed suicide. Of the suicides, 11 people were held in some form of isolation.
- The Alameda County Public Defender's Office learned that the ACSO continues to illegally record constitutionally protected privileged conversations between attorneys and clients, despite a previous major scandal involving a sheriff’s deputy caught on video admitting to recording youth and their attorneys.
- The investigative East Bay Express article titled “The Most Dangerous Place in Alameda County” described in great detail the many systemic failures and horrendous inhumane conditions that have lead to a staggering number of deeply troubling incidents.
For more information please contact our Organizer and Advocate Jose Bernal: email@example.com
We’re calling on the Alameda County Board of Supervisors to conduct an audit of Sheriff Ahern’s Department to reveal how he is spending taxpayer dollars, improve transparency and accountability, and uncover potential savings that can be invested directly back into our communities. The Audit Ahern Coalition is currently comprised of the CA Immigrant Youth Justice Alliance, Ella Baker Center, Urban Peace Movement, Causa Justa Just Cause, Public Health Justice Collective, Human Impact Partners, American Friends Services Committee, SURJ - Bay Area, Justice Reinvestment Coalition, Unitarian Church of Oakland, and Wellstone Democratic Renewal Club
Here’s what you can do to hold Sheriff Ahern accountable:
Call your County Supervisor and demand an independent audit of the ACSO:
- District 2-Valle: (510) 272-6692
- President of the Board, everyone can call and urge him to #AuditAhern.
- District 1-Haggerty: (510) 272-6691
- District 4-Miley: (510) 272-6694
- District 5-Carson: (510) 272-6695
Hello my name is ___ and I live in Alameda County. I am calling to voice my support for a full financial and performance audit of the Alameda County Sheriff's office. I urge the Superviros to support an independent financial and performance audit of the Alameda County Sheriff's Office. Thank you.