The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights (“EBC”) is a nonprofit organization based in Oakland, CA, working to advance racial and economic justice to ensure dignity and opportunity for low-income people and people of color. In our 20 year history, we have worked on issues including jump starting the green jobs movement, promoting civic engagement, violence prevention through youth leadership, and transforming juvenile justice systems in California. We are currently working to end mass incarceration and mass criminalization in the United States through Truth and Reinvestment—moving resources away from failed criminal justice policies and into creating opportunities, also known as “books not bars, jobs not jails, healthcare not handcuffs.”
- Working with and under the direction of the Communications Director to coordinate all aspects of strategic media relations, including writing and disseminating press releases, organizing press conferences, pitching stories to reporters, drafting talking points, op-eds and fact sheets to support our goals.
- Conducting press outreach, developing and cultivating relationships with various media outlets/influencers and facilitating incoming media requests.
- Writing creative copy to frame our issues for a wide variety of platforms: emails, social media, fact sheets, talking points, op-eds, and letters to the editor.
- Coordinating and managing our staff and members as spokespeople, including facilitating training.
- Monitoring, collecting and distributing news clips and media reports after media events.
- Assisting on other communications projects as needed.
- Proven commitment to and knowledge of issues relating to racial, economic, and gender justice
- Strong writing, verbal communication, editing and proofreading skills
- Two (2) years of experience in campaign communications, media relations, production management, marketing, writing or combination
- Ability to frame issues for different audiences
- Must be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines
- Experience with media monitoring and PR platforms
- Previous experience in online organizing, political campaigns, and/or customer service very advantageous but not required
- Willingness to work with a team, as well as independently
- Needs to be able to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Needs to be able to operate a computer for most of the working hours.
- This position needs to be able to use a telephone and communicate with the general public.