The Ella Baker Center is currently hiring a Development Specialist.
The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights (“EBC”) is a nonprofit organization based in Oakland, CA, working to advance racial and economic justice to ensure dignity and opportunity for low-income people and people of color. In our 20 year history, we have worked on issues including jump starting the green jobs movement, promoting civic engagement, violence prevention through youth leadership, and transforming juvenile justice systems in California. We are currently working to end mass incarceration and mass criminalization in the United States through Truth and Reinvestment—moving resources away from failed criminal justice policies and into creating opportunities, also known as “books not bars, jobs not jails, healthcare not handcuffs.”
The Development Specialist works with the Executive Director and Director of Development to enhance productivity and maximize the Ella Baker Center's impact. This role involves administrative support for the Development Department, primarily in the areas including data entry, recordkeeping, and donor engagement. The Development Specialist will also provide logistical and administrative support for many of the Executive Director's most important responsibilities, including media appearances and speaking engagements, meetings with key stakeholders, supporting the Ella Baker Center's Board of Directors, and organizational management. This position supports the Executive Director and Director of Development, and is supervised by the Director of Development.
This is a non-exempt position based in Oakland, CA.
Schedule will include occasional evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Generate acknowledgement letters and coordinate “thank you' calls for donations received
- Coordinate key department systems, including Asana (task management) and Box (file management)
- Coordinate the production of quarterly development mailers
- Perform data entry and support financial reconciliation
- Conduct research to support ED and DoD projects
- Draft letters and correspondence
- Prepare internal reports and memoranda
- Regularly perform data entry and cleanup
- Optimize flow of information (organizing email, materials, files, etc.) to support decision making
- Monitor tasks and projects (via Asana)
- Calendaring + Coordination
- Coordinate and provide logistical support for board meetings
- Manage calendars, both day-to-day and with longer-term strategy and goals
- Identify and coordinate media appearances and speaking engagements Ensure adequate preparation for appearances for important events, such as meetings with key stakeholders and speaking engagements Make travel arrangements as needed
Required qualifications and skills:
- Experience working as an executive assistant or other admin support role
- Excellent organizational skills with an ability to think proactively and prioritize work Strong communication skills (via phone, email and in-person)
- Familiarity with cloud-based calendar systems (Google Calendar preferred)
- Familiarity with cloud-based project and task management systems (Asana preferred)
- History of working collaboratively with stakeholders (board members, volunteers, etc.) and coworkers while exercising individual leadership in meeting core job responsibilities.
- Project/task management experience, including proven ability to successfully manage multiple time-sensitive projects.
- Ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality with sensitive information
- Familiarity with cloud-based systems, such as Google Drive, Box, and Salesforce.
- Proven commitment to racial, economic, and gender justice.
Preferred qualifications and skills:
- Familiarity with criminal justice landscape in California and/or the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Bilingual Spanish and English a PLUS
- Individuals of color, LGBTQ, individuals with past involvement in the justice system or who have loved ones currently or formerly in the justice system are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary range: $52,000 - $60,000
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Application open until filled. Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as interviews will be offered on a rolling basis.