Revive Oakland's Victory
For nearly 3 years now, the East Bay Alliance for a Sustainable Economy has worked side-by-side with coalition members of ReviveOakland to ensure that redevelopment at the West Oakland Army Base would create actual community benefits for the city and its residents.
This past Tuesday, after years of organizing, researching and negotiating Oakland’s City Council voted to pass a historic and unprecedented agreement to ensure access to good, living wage jobs for all Oakland residents.
Below is more detail of what this amazing victory means for Oakland.
All jobs at the Oakland Army Base:
- Living wage
- 50% local hire
- West Oakland job and training center
- Long-term community oversight board to oversee compliance, with Revive Oakland guaranteed a seat on the board
- All new trade union apprenticeships reserved for Oakland residents
- No pre-screening of job applicants for prior criminal records
- Project labor agreement to ensure safe conditions and quality jobs
Warehouse and operations jobs:
- Limits on use of temp agencies
- 50% local hire for all companies with 40 or more total workers (including employees or contracted workers)
- For operations jobs controlled by CCIG: No pre-screening of job applicants for prior criminal records
- For operations jobs controlled by ProLogis: No pre-screening of job applicants for prior criminal records, with the exception of companies that have a nationwide hiring policy in place
The Oakland community turned out in a big way to make their voices heard loud and clear about what they want to see included in the Army Base Redevelopment. Below, you can watch 2 videos of Oakland Residents, Alicia Caballero-Christenson and Ecaterina Burton testifying to the need of good jobs in our city.
*Videos credit of Suzanne Vyborney
However, the struggle is not over. Mark your calendars for July 3rd and plan to join us at Oakland City Hall as City Council holds a 2nd reading of the good jobs agreement. And stay tuned as Revive Oakland pushes forward in creating a jobs center to ensure the necessary workforce development and good labor practices that create good jobs and thriving families.
Jun 17, 2013
Mar 01, 2013
Dec 10, 2012
Jul 19, 2012